Lost and Found



This 4-day trip in April 2015 is a memorable trip. 

We were in Detroit waiting to deadhead somewhere.  I went to Wendy's to buy a salad with just my wallet.  I always say that I don't like holding my wallet without my bag, as I have a tendency to leave my wallet somewhere.  And that's what happened!

I didn't realize that I lost my wallet until the following day that we were about to leave for Montreal from LGA.  I tried to recall what I did and where I went, to trace where I could have left my wallet. My recollection was I went to Wendy's and probably left it on the counter when I was signing the receipt.

Before heading to Montreal, I called crew scheduling to check if I can travel without my greencard. They told me that I can, as long as I have my passport. I was a little uncertain, but because I checked with Crew Scheduling, I thought I was safe to travel. I told the officer in Montreal airport that I lost my wallet with my greencard in it.  She's nice, told me it's OK and she will let me in.

I thought the situation was over, but I was wrong.

The following morning, the officer held me in his room for interrogation.  He told me that I should not have been permitted to enter Montreal, and that mistake should not be corrected with another mistake.  While I was in the waiting area, he caught me using my phone, and told me that phones are prohibited in the area. I tried to be discrete and contacted my manager. It was 5AM and I was hoping that he will respond even though I was hesitant to wake him up.  Our manager reached out to our company's Security Officer. They talked to the supervisor of the Immigration Officer and came up with a compromise that they will let me go and will waive the penalty of $500. However, if it happens again, the company would need to pay for it. Honestly, I didn't mind to personally pay for the fine. Then I started crying when I stepped out of the officer's room. I couldn't believe that situation happened to me. I thought I was helpless on that very early morning, but the company helped me during my need. I was grateful.

On the plane, our pilots and my FA partner were waiting for me and wondering what had happened.  They felt sorry for me. Obviously, our flight back to JFK was delayed for 30 mins. Our manager met me on the plane when we arrived JFK and he offered a $20 so I have money for the remaining of the trip. I didn't want to take it, but I was grateful for his gesture.

I reported all my lost cards, called the lost and found office in Detroit and reported my lost wallet on Delta site.  They responded that they will get in touch with me as soon as somebody returns it.  I prayed, specifically to St. Anthony (the patron saint of lost items) that I hope to be able retrieve my wallet, because getting a new greencard would cost me $500. A week later, Delta sent me a message that they have my wallet. I knew I would have it back.  It was returned with my greencard, but the few dollars in it was gone.  My prayers had worked and I was enormously grateful. I am thankful for the person who found it and made an effort to return it. Miracles happen and faith delivers.

We always have lessons learned from unexpected situations like this. My lessons learned - not to put all my debit, credit cards and greencard in one wallet, keep a little cash somewhere in my bag and always remember not to carry my wallet without my bag! And another thing, if my colleague lost a wallet and doesn't have any money, I will make sure that I will offer money to help.

It was my first trip to Montreal. It was such an experience and a trip to remember.