MEETING MR. CHRIS




 "Some people suffer in silence." Our Captain and I had a random conversation before we took off, and he uttered those words to me. I never thought these profound words would represent someone I would meet that day.

On our flight from Burlington to JFK on April 26, I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Chris. He had a wheelchair, so we boarded him first. I worked at the back of the cabin and had the privilege of serving him. 

I noticed something peculiar about Mr. Chris. His hands were trembling while I watched him eat. I kept asking if he was okay and constantly checking on him during the flight. Finally, we landed at JFK and got him a wheelchair for his final destination, Portland, Oregon. After that, I thought I would never see him again.

Heading to my next flight, I saw a small group of people surrounding a man. I walked towards them to find out that it was Mr. Chris. A few minutes later, some medical staff arrived to bring him to Jamaica Hospital as he looked sick and unlikely to get on his flight due to his condition. 

I don't know anything about Mr. Chris' medical condition. Based on my observation, I know that he has slurred speech, trembling hands, and looks frail. So, I asked myself, what if he can't talk to let his family know his condition and can't make his flight to Oregon? What if something worse happens to him and his family doesn't know where he is? My instinct was telling me to do something for Mr. Chris.

My first action was to call the gate agent in Burlington and ask for a contact number. The gate agent gave me a number that was apparently Mr. Chris' number. After many attempts, the next day, I was able to talk to him. I promised to visit him the following day to check on him and volunteered myself to fly with him to Portland if he needed a companion. 

I knew I had enough time to visit him at the hospital. However, I feared I might not make it back to JFK in time for my flight because of the traffic. So I decided to call the manager to tell her the story about Mr. Chris and my plan to visit him at the hospital. I know that I was putting myself in jeopardy and risking my job. But I also know that I have this opportunity right before me to help someone who is physically and emotionally in need.

I told the uber driver to wait for me to avoid the hassle of getting another ride. I quickly got off the car, rushed to the visitors' area, got my pass, and headed to his room. Mr. Chris was waiting for me.    I honestly told him my feelings about putting my job at risk by helping him. He appreciated me and revealed his Parkinson's disease and his attempt to end his life. Then I began to cry. I felt his deep sorrow. I thought of my dark moments and realized why I met Mr. Chris. I left him at the hospital with a heavy heart.

I made it back to the airport with more than enough time to work my flight. I even enjoyed a conversation with the nice driver about humanity and the opportunity to make a difference to someone., which he also does. My worry about being late was overpowered by my desire to help. 

The hospital didn't release him that day. I communicated his situation with Mr. Chris' daughter in Portland and his brother in Burlington. Eventually, I learned more about Mr. Chris and his family situation; I understood him better. 

I left for Budapest, Hungary, for my Holy Week mission. While in Budapest, I monitored him and rebooked his tickets twice. He was discharged from the hospital after a few days and finally made it to Portland.

Mr. Chris was a stranger to me, a passenger, and someone who needed help. Now he's my friend who inspired me how to fight when life gets hard. I saw his courage to travel by himself despite his medical condition. I felt the sincerity of his gratefulness. 

He messaged me, "Thank you. Trying to emulate your selfless actions on my behalf. My sister would like to thank you."

I always look for opportunities to help. It was right there in front of me, and I didn't want to miss that opportunity.  Kindness matters - a lot.  You never know, I would need that same kindness from a random person someday. 

We meet some people for a reason. I know the reason I worked on the flight with Mr. Chris. Yes, some people suffer in silence. It could be me or you or someone we don't know. I am glad I've met Mr. Chris.