The Birth of "I Love Flying"

 


"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”

– Leonardo da Vinci


For us who love to fly, this quote speaks to us in this present time. Our passion for flying takes us to a greater height, limitless horizon, and undaunted. 


At the beginning of 2020, I was busy working on my first book about immigrants. I finished it in February and published it in March. I was getting ready to travel to the Philippines to promote the book. But it didn’t happen.


The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic has changed our lives and the world of travel. Demands have drastically fallen because of fear of traveling and global efforts to stop the spread of the virus. Travel warnings were heightened, and restrictions were mandated. Non-essential travel was limited. Planes have been grounded. Airports became deserted. Employers offered retirement programs and voluntary unpaid leave. Others have lost their jobs due to massive layoffs and furloughs. In addition, the industry reported some deaths linked to COVID-19. The pandemic even forced some airlines to go out of business.


I was overwhelmed and sometimes depressed with all the negative news every day. I had to tell myself not to be consumed with what was happening around me and the world. Wearing an uncomfortable mask at work and in other public places became the norm. Walking at the quiet airports and working in an almost empty plane was a sad reality.


When my employer offered the voluntary unpaid leave, I took it in April with the intent of working on promoting my first book. However, the time I spent at home ultimately became a blessing. Little did I know that the emotional impact of COVID-19 would inspire me to write I Love Flying: An Inspirational Journal for Your Flying and Travel Adventures. I felt a strong desire to create something positive out of adversity and do my part in the ailing world. My love for flying was my driving force. I started brainstorming in September and finished the journal in December. 




As a flight attendant, the least I could do for the victims of COVID-19 is to honor them. For this reason, I dedicated I Love Flying to those lost who their lives to COVID-19 and the frontline workers in the aviation industry.


Hard times present us with an opportunity to reflect, grow, reinvent, or discover. In my case, it took me to a greater height, a new journey of writing my second book.


We all have our pandemic stories to tell. I have this one and a few more. What is yours?