When the World Stopped Flying


"World Surpasses 35 million Cases of COVID-19."

"Major US airlines continue slashing service during coronavirus outbreak: 'We will get through this"

"How Airlines Are Dealing with The Coronavirus Outbreak"


These were the familiar headlines on the onset of the coronavirus outbreak.


Is the world prepared for this outbreak? 

Most of us were caught unprepared, shocked, sad, and frightened. We were overwhelmed with the daily news that affected us emotionally. I often feel depressed with all the negative information I read in the morning. I had to tell myself not to be consumed by what was happening around me. It was overwhelming, but that was the reality.

During the first few months of 2020, there were many uncertainties, fear of losing jobs, getting sick of the virus, and so much more.

Then later part of the year, we finally felt and witnessed the impact of Covid-19 in the US and around the world. The pandemic has devastated the airline industry worldwide. Demands had fallen, and airlines were trying to survive. Planes were grounded. Many employees, including myself, took advantage of the retirement program and voluntary unpaid leave. Others have lost their jobs. And the pandemic has forced some airlines to go out of business.

Initially, wearing a mask at work was very inconvenient. But because of safety, I got used to it. Working with our masks is just one of the many changes we have to adapt to in our work environment. The pandemic has changed the world of travel. 

Hospitals were running out of beds for Covid-19 patients. The medical personnel was exhausted. And unexpected deaths of so many people, some of whom were people we know. In addition, quiet airports and empty planes were depressing sights that I witnessed.

All these happened when the world stopped flying . . . because of the coronavirus pandemic. 

My employer asked my thoughts about the pandemic and its impact on me. My answer is - I love what I do. With all that is happening, I am focusing on what is beautiful and positive and what I can do to boost hope and optimism. 

How about you? What is your take from this? What are the lessons you learned? We may have different answers, but I know for sure these challenging times made us pause and think about what's important and realize our values and priorities in life.