Who Needs Help?




Sometimes we are given daunting tasks that we think are impossible to do.

There are different kinds of tasks, responsibilities, problems, and challenges. Some need physical skills. Some only entail mental skills. Some need dynamic analysis. Some need collaboration. Some would require a personal decision. And most need help.

No matter what and how many responsibillities or issues we have, human beings naturally depend on one another. 

The famous quote "no man is an island" by Jonne Donne is self-explanatory. We need family, friends, colleagues, acquaintances, travel buddies, or companions. A spouse or a partner keeps us from not being alone when our children are grown-ups and have their own lives. A best friend can listen to our horrible stories, corny jokes, and heartaches. A colleague can mentor us or help us with a project. An acquaintance can join us for a drink at a happy hour. A travel buddy can share the fun of traveling (and the cost of expenses). A companion can be around to let us feel we are not alone.

A famous person or someone crowned with the "most congeniality award," or even someone with a strong personality can sometimes feel alone. Depression hits anybody and can kill us if we don't seek help or if help is not given. 

Some of us are self-reliant. This may be a positive trait, but it is not (always) good. I, for one, am a living example of this. I grew up very independent, I do things on my own most of the time, and I don't rely on help in some aspects of my life.  



A plane is pushed back for taxi with the help of a tug and the tug driver. So before an aircraft can perform its role, it needs a team of people.

At work, I do fun things and try to capture those moments. However, this photo realistically tells me that I don't only need help, but I need enormous help pushing this plane. Having fun at work and in life is a way to keep our sanity. 

This photo reminds me that "no man is an island." 

I understand that some of us prefer to be alone. But it is great to have someone out there, not just to help but to put a smile on our faces, to bring us energy, inspire us, and keep our hearts alive.