Threat Syndrome




I didn't know about the "threat syndrome" until I encountered it from a passenger.

She's traveling by herself with her cute stuff toy that she's cuddling the whole time. I knew there was something peculiar in her. I noticed that she was a little uneasy in her seat. So I decided to move her to a better seat with nobody beside her. Later, she told me then that she had "threat syndrome."

So what is this syndrome? I researched and learned that it is also called "Tourette syndrome." "It is a nervous system disorder involving uncontrollable repetitive movements or unwanted sounds, such as repeatedly blinking the eyes, shrugging shoulders, or blurting out offensive words. Treatment can help, but this condition can't be cured."

I always see stuff toys on our flight, most of them with kids and some with adults who like to bring their favorite stuff toys wherever they travel. 

But this kid-size stuff toy is unique to give her comfort and company. She may act differently in front of other people, but she's just an average person like us who needs the human care and interaction we all seek.

I admire her for traveling alone and overcoming the challenges of traveling. It shows her courage and strength. 

We all have differences and needs. Our individual limitations, weaknesses, or disabilities don't define us. What defines us is who we are to ourselves and how we treat others.