Welcome to America!



A flight close to my heart.

My first job after college was with the International Catholic Migration Commission / Joint Voluntary Agency. I did it for 4 years back in 1989.

ICMC's mission is to "protect and serve uprooted people, including refugees, asylum seekers, internally displaced people, victims of human trafficking, and migrants - regardless of faith, race, ethnicity or nationality."

As part of the processing team, we processed the documentation of asylum seekers including refugees to enter the US.  Most of the refugees we processed were from Vietnam. It was an encouraging and fulfilling job, knowing that we were part of their dream to begin a new life in other countries, particularly the USA, after running away from their country due to economic & political issues. Most of them don't even know how to speak in English language, but they are legal migrants funded by the US government. They have their dreams too, to live in a free land.

Back then, I didn't have my imminent plan to migrate in the US, though I know that someday I will.  After working for ICMC / JVA for 4 years, I moved to the American Embassy and worked for 4 different organizations, until I ended my career with the American government in 2012.  My career and growth working for the American government for 20+ years was a great success.

Many times, we've had flights to Syracuse, Buffalo & Rochester with former refugees on board.  They were identified with individual ID and a plastic of documents with ICMC logo that they carry with them. In June 2016, we had this family from Middle East on board our flight. Their faces looked nervous and happy at the same time. I was happy to see them, welcome them on our flight and serve them.

When I have passengers like them, I remember my first job and my former colleagues. Those were great and memorable years spent with wonderful people.

America is often described as a "Melting Pot." I am an immigrant who came here more than 4 years ago. I thank the American government for giving me and my family the visa to migrate here, and to those people who helped me in my transition.

I welcome these people on our flight.  Let us welcome them to America, as well.