Struck By A Lightning




Have you been on a plane that has been struck by a lightning?

I have been. On our flight from Raleigh Durham to Boston, I saw a sudden flash of light coming in the plane from the window. I was startled, nervous and my mind wondered what's going to happen next.

I tried to change my negative imagination and fear to a positive vision that nothing bad would happen. I had to tell myself that it was just like a camera flash that goes away quickly. I prayed that our plane be safe and we could land immediately without any issues.

That was my first experience of being struck by a lightning. It was a little scary but I have to remember that this is a part of our job and what we were trained to do. Some of the passengers reacted to the incident. Some of them were scared and cried. We pacified them as much as we could.

Our job may seems easy to some people who only recognize us with serving snacks. The bigger part of our responsibilities are dealing with safety and security issues including different kinds of emergencies.  Thank you for those who acknowledge that we are here not only during boarding and serving snacks and meals,  but as well as during the unlikely circumstances of emergencies.

I wouldn't be surprise anymore the next time our plane gets hit by a lightning. Now I know how to react. 

It was determined that our plane was still safe to fly to our next destination. Nothing to worry about. We ended our day in Pittsburgh with a nice dinner courtesy of our generous Captain Tyler. 

When you're with a wonderful crew like them, the trip will go by fast, even during unavoidable unfortunate incidents. 


We can be struck by a lightning literally and figuratively. We may not be prepared but life is full of surprises. Good and bad.