Tough Soldier On Board


I remember this flight very well. It was a flight from Portland, Maine to JFK in February 2018.

SSG Travis Mills is a retired US Army Staff Sergeant.  He is a recalibrated warrior, motivational speaker, and international advocate for veterans and amputees.  He has a Foundation - the Travis Mills Foundation, which benefits and assists combat-injured veterans.

I was glad to work at the first class of the cabin, as I had to pleasure to have met SSG Mills. Initially,  Initially, I had no idea who he is.  I treat everybody the same, but his physical appearance - with missing legs and arms had struck me.  He was with another gentleman and they were playing a game on the phone while everybody was boarding.  My curiosity had brought me to start a conversation.  Eventually, I found out who he is and the gentleman with him is his father in law.  They were going to Las Vegas for a speaking engagement. A very nice, with all smile, and everything seemed normal to him despite his disability.

When we landed JFK, he gave me this first chapter of his book called "Tough as they come."  It was indeed a compelling story  War stories are quiet extensive and most of us can't relate.  But they are definitely inspiring.

It was my pleasure to served him on board, and my honor to have received a copy of his book. We thank him for his service. I personally thank him for reminding me that I am physically blessed.

He said on his book  - "Never Give Up. Never Quit." This is a great mantra that we can always use.