Celebrating a Heritage Month



May is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. My employer asked about the importance of our culture and what it means to us.  Here is what I say:

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month is a celebration of our heritage while recognizing our contributions and achievements in American society.

I believe that our heritage shapes us, but humanity defines us.  In celebration of this month, I hope that the rise in anti-Asian hate crimes stops.  Let us not judge people with their background, skin color, accent, or physical deformities.  We all contribute to this world and have a role to play in society, and we can achieve it no matter where we come from. 

We all came from somewhere and had the right to be someone else.  However, let us not forget our heritage and those people who helped us become who we are today. 

Being a Filipino-American is not just an opportunity but a great blessing.  I love my heritage, am proud of my color and accent, and am humbled by my achievements.